Messages of Despair
Messages of Hope
A Guide to Recovery of
It is my hope that this fourth edition will serve as a beacon for clinicians, families, and people with eating disorders alike.
Eating Disorders are dangerous, serious illnesses. Many deaths caused by eating disorders are not listed on the death certificate. Every organ in the body is compromised by eating disorders.
Help should be obtained as soon as an eating disorder is detected. This can include psychotherapy, medical, and nutrition.
Signs of an eating disorder include:
- Mood swings
- Refusal to eat normally or at all
- Dental problems
- Preoccupation with weight and food
- Social isolation and withdrawal
- Low self-esteem
- Depression and fatigue
- Secretive behavior and denial
- Inability to concentrate
- Starvation or obesity
- Respiratory and heart disorders